[BC] Phone System &VOIP Question - A second question.

KC4QLP at aol.com KC4QLP at aol.com
Wed May 7 06:10:04 CDT 2008

<Check out MagicJack.com.  $40.00 bucks for the first year and $20.00
<for every year there after.

The first year price has gone up. It is now roughly 65 bucks and some change,
but the yearly...yes..YEARLY cost remains at 19.95.

<The only problem that I had is when I was activating it they assigned
<a phone number for a town in the same area code about 100 miles away.
<I had to "chat" with their tech morons four times and finally got a
<supervisor to assign a local number so that I could receive local
<calls here without people from here having to call me LD thru that
<distant exchange.  They don't have a phone number to call so you have
<to do it all on line.

Another "issue" with magicjack is that your area code may not be currently
available. Last look, many areas are "pending". When I activated my service, my
area code, pending of course, I had to choose a number near NYC. No big deal
for now as it saves on the cell phone minutes usage. Magicjack will allow you
to change your number once for free and after that, it is a 10 dollar fee to
change your number. Good to know for when your area code becomes available for
use.

<Also for it to work you need to have your computer on all the time and
<connected to the internet, which is my normal case with Comcast
<wideband.

This probably isn't a big deal for most. I have a dedicated computer to use
for this as I have two lines running here.

<I'm kinda surprised that no one on the list hasn't mentioned it before
<I did.

<Ron D

Ron...you beat me to the punch.......

Bob Carter - KC4QLP
Mid-Atlantic-Engineering-Service of Utica NY

http://midatlanticengineeringservice.cjb.net/
WKVU-FM 100.7 Utica/Rome NY, WKVJ-FM 89.7 Dannemora/Plattsburgh NY, WKYJ-FM
88.7 Rouses Point NY,WOKR 93.5 Remsen NY,WRCK 107.3 Utica NY, WKTV-DT 2 Utica
NY