[BC] Re: FeedHorn Bug Covers

Alan Alsobrook radiotech at bellsouth.net
Wed May 7 00:05:22 CDT 2008

I've used several different things over the years to do this, but I have
settled on one. That is black non metallic fly screen secured by large
hose clamps (round member adapters for the tower guys). These seem to
last for well over 10 years, and show no attenuation of signal. Also
they don't present the problem of trapping moisture behind them and/or
having dew form on them. All in all at least here in good old Florida,
that has worked the best for me. I'm still using the same $5 roll of
screen that I bought about 15 years ago when I need to make a new one.
The first one I put on this way is still in place and remains in
excellent shape today.

The installation procedure is as follows

1 Cut about a 2'x 2' chunk of screen and grab 3-4 4" stainless clamps
and a pair of scissors.
2 obtain what ever you'll need at the dish to access the feed horn.
3 use enough clamps to loosely go around the outer ring of the feed horn.
4 once you have the clamp preset to go up, place it on the screen.
5 pick up both the clamps and screen and push the screen side first over
the feed horn.
6 tighten the clamps until they are just tight enough to not fall off.
7 pull the edges of the screen outside the clamp so that the screen
covering the feed horn is all nice and tight.
8 tighten the clamp fully.
9 cut off excess screen.

--
Alan Alsobrook CSRE AMD CBNT