[BC] Digital Archiving

Mark Earle mearle at mearle.com
Tue May 6 19:44:45 CDT 2008

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net wrote:
> Write-once DVDs are not supposed to degrade at normal room
> temperatures. It's the R/W ones that slowly degrade with time.
>
> You want to keep them in sleeves of cases so that they are not
> exposed to direct light for extended periods of time.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Richard B. Johnson
> Read about my book
> http://www.LymanSchool.org

I have a CD created in 1995, on a then-new 1x writer drive (HP) which
cost $450! This was under Windows 95, and having the drive was a rarity.
This was the first CD I ever created.

It has lived in my computer bag, not exposed to sun but otherwise has
endured being in hot cars, airplanes, etc.

It still reads. I have yet to get an error popping this in and reading
random files from the CD. It's mostly old Word docs and some PDFs.

--
mwe

    ) )
   ( (
    ) ) You will be assimilated..oooh, coffee!!
  |****|
( |    |
  |____|mearle at mearle.com