[BC] Fallout from Unattended Operation

patrick roberts radiowavesokc at gmail.com
Tue May 6 14:09:53 CDT 2008

As far as access for emergency personel to get their info out over
the air, that's why we paid 3,000 dollars for a EAS box.  We the
broadcaster did our part.  Now it's time for the states to step up
and MAN their EOCs so the information can be sent out.  Paying a warm
body 24/7 doesn't equal getting a good area-wide message
out.  Manning an EOC equipped with a known telephone number that's
available to the right people and manned by people trained on the
equipment and proceedures does.   Add a nice statewide distribution
backbone that doesn't require putting it on broadcast stations just
to send it other parts of the state and you have a real system that
can send out information to the part of the state that needs it and
leave the rest of us alone to keep playing the hits.

Instead we'll get some new 3,000 dollar box to buy and maintain and
we might have to have to pay some high school kid to eat pizza and
dump coke in the console at night if we want to stay on the air at
night.  My guess is some of the very stations that are currently
really serving the public in smaller markets will just hit the switch
at 10pm and call it quits until the morning show starts the next
day.  That way when the big one comes the local community won't even
have automated warnings to listen to.  Leave it to politicans and the
Federal Check Cashers to come up with such a great plan.

PR

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Glen Kippel