[BC] Transmitter Safety

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Mon May 5 11:06:36 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 08:12 am, Gary Peterson wrote:

>  I have also observed tremendous static discharges coming into the
>  transmitter shack from shunt-fed and folded unipole-fed antennas (both DC
>  grounded).

 There persists a common misconception that shunt feeds of any kind
 are immune to lightning because of this DC grounding.
 FAR from true, and often overlooked is the transformer affect, such that
 assuming all of the direct lightning or static discharge *is* through the
 grounded tower ( which ohms law says it's not ) there is still an induced
 pulse in the shunt feed.
 Often, it is much worse than would be a series fed arrangement.

--
Cowboy