[BC] It's not just Engineers....

Mike McCarthy Towers at mre.com
Sun May 4 23:56:38 CDT 2008

SNIPPED....

EE is not the only discipline hurting for PRACTICAL application of
the theory learned by new grads.  I read another trade publication
regularly and the timbre is the same.  Just change the acronym.  All
brains, but not able to apply the knowledge in real world practice.
The schools are teaching theory and CAD with no practical application
attached.  So when a graduate gets their first job, it's Practical
Application 101 under mentorship.  This is where the PE
apprenticeship comes into play.

HOWEVER, there aren't as many mentor's left for a 1 to 1 stewardship
during those early formative years. Senior level types often have
more than two under their tutelage in addition to their primary work
responsibilities. Which is what is so troubling to industry leaders
who are now only recognizing their paring of already seasoned
professional staff has now short changed their future quality control
AND pool of suitable higher level candidates.

Does that sound familiar...?  It should....

MM

At 02:54 PM 5/2/2008 +0000, RichardBJohnson at comcast.net wrote