[BC] All Sports Stations

WBRadiolists at aol.com WBRadiolists at aol.com
Sun May 4 13:02:36 CDT 2008

In a message dated 05/02/2008 8:37:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
richwood at pobox.com writes:

> Then it meets the requirements. Local franchises doesn't have to mean
>  the Yankees or Red Sox. It has to be a team or teams that are
>  important to the market. That can be college or High School as
>  opposed to plugging into ESPN and walking away. I think local is
>  terribly important for sports.

Exactly! We've heard it said before, that a good local HS sports program on
the radio can be a gold mine.

You know... I could easily picture a savvy local station owner getting as
many local HS teams signed-up, put them on HD2, 3 and FMeXtra "channels" and then
start selling HD and FMeXtra radios. Cha-Ching! That station could carry as
many as 5 or 6 games simultaneously! Just sell the radios to the locals who
would be happy to pay for it to hear *all* of their kid's schools games! Watch
the cash flow in... this may be enough to actually make HD work in some markets!

If you can't sell commercials on the HD2 & 3 (and FMeXtra) channels, yet,
just sell the radios! Then when there's a measurable audience, start selling
spots. Cha-Ching! Of course, this would be limited to FM. AM's could just find the
local HS with the biggest attendance, and go with that.

It would take WORK, (there's that word, again) but I imagine it would be
worthwhile. You could even get some of the HS kids with the knack to do it, to be
a part of the broadcasts. Raise-up the next generation of Broadcasters to
boot. Win-Win.

Willie...

<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new
twists on family favorites at AOL Food.<BR>
(http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)</HTML>