[BC] Radio engineering not a profession - 50 kW Vs. 2 Watts

Ronald J. Dot'o Sr. ron.doto at comcast.net
Sun May 4 04:51:56 CDT 2008

> I sometimes regretted not being born earlier so I could have been a
> part of the real pioneering days of radio, but at least my time in
> it was a whole lot better than now. Why anyone would want to be a
> radio "engineer" today I don't know.
>
>  - Nat

I had the honor and good fortune to work with a true Broadcast
Pioneer, Cal Applegate, who started at Warner Bros. KFWB in 1926 after
he was discharged from the Army Air Service.  The stories he could
tell about the early days!  I wish I could have gotten them down on
tape.  He was loaned out to the movie lot from the radio station to do
the sound tracks on their early talkies.  I have pictures of him with
the original Rin Tin Tin and the rest of the movie crew as well as
pics of him with his fellow engineers at the station.  During WW II he
worked for the War Information Office installing broadcast stations in
Alaska as a warning system for attacks.  He taught me how to read a
tower with an RF bridge.  I sure miss him.  He will be gone 20 years
this August.

Ron D