[BC] Radio engineering not a profession - 50 kW Vs. 2 Watts

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sat May 3 12:36:57 CDT 2008

> The sad thing is that there are probably hundreds of small town managers
> like this now with little knowledge or regard for FCC R&R.  At least in
> the
> old days when you had someone with hard-earned blue-paper hanging on the
> wall, you had someone who's first priority was seeing to it  that the
> station operated in a legal and technicality competent manor. And back
> then
> managers had respect for engineers and didn't consider them just appliance
> repairmen you call in when your radio station is broke.
>
>  - Nat Kayle

About 20 years ago, the FCC experimented with a "mail order inspection." I
always thought this was a good idea. You could get a pretty good idea
whether the station had any idea what was going on. However, NAB did not
think it was a good idea, and the FCC dropped it. Instead, they came up
with the self inspection form that a station can use to evaluate how
compliant it is, assuming it looks at the form. In addition, the FCC came
up with the alternate inspection program which, I think, is a good idea.
It's a way to reduce FCC enforcement costs and increase compliance. The
FCC can then, instead, concentrate random inspections on stations that
have not done the AIP.

Finally, though not updated recently, and I still have more work to do
with the 2001 data, I have FCC enforcement info at
http://sujan.hallikainen.org/FCC/FccRules/violations/ . It can be
interesting reading how stations respond to violation notices. In
addition, the FCC now posts field office notices at
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/ . These can be interesting reading.

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com - Advertising