[BC] It's not just Engineers....

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo at usa.net
Fri May 2 14:44:18 CDT 2008

I wish I know the answer, but I don't. What I do know is that people aren't
moving. In the past, people were willing to move for a new opportunity. Now
they're staying put. The bird in the hand is the norm-and can you blame
anyone? The average tenure at a station for any management these days is 2-4
years. Look at the GM of WLS that just left - 3 years on the job! Station
owners these days are always looking for the 'quick fix'-the house of straw or
sticks that'll keep the rain out for the next quarter's guidance. A house of
bricks-NO WAY! Bricks cost too much-they are an INVESTMENT that we can't
afford! Isn't it amazing that the managers of today's mega corporations don't
(even) get the meaning of a child's story? Maybe that's the problem-they all
need to be thrown out on their ever-widening butts! Look at Radio One-they
just gave their top management HUGE raises and stock slush payments-while the
stock lost over 90% of its value in a year.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening, instead the same old same old will
continue-and radio will become less and less relevant as the years pass.

Oh, one more thing-did you see the newest 'crutch' for HD? Congress wants XM
and Sirius to have to build it in to their recievers.  Let's see, the
satellite band is at 2 gHz and radio at and below 100 mHz. BOY, I can see
commonalities in those radios! Not to mention the fact that IBOC royalties
would need to be paid for EVERY XM radio!  I can easily see the consumer cost
of the satellite receivers more then DOUBLING if this goes through!

I also find it pathetic that radio is so bad off that it needs protectionist
legislation!

-D