[BC] Radio engineering not a profession - 50 kW Vs. 2 Watts

Xmitters at aol.com Xmitters at aol.com
Thu May 1 12:53:06 CDT 2008

broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

> It is indeed strange that the FCC
>  requires a person to pass a test to operate a 2-watt ham handi-talkie but
>  not a 50-KW transmitter on the broadcast band. Where is the logic to this??

The logic in this is very simple.

The ham radio operator running two watts not only holds an "operators
license" but he also holds a "station License" and those authorizations are bun
dled
into the ham license itself.

The "station Licensee" is responsible for the proper operation of the
station. In the case of the 50 kW AM, that falls on the holder of the station
license.

The ham radio operator is also the "station Licensee" and is therefore
exclusively responsible for its technical operation.

The reasoning is therefore consistent.

Hypothetically, why should I be held legally responsible if the broadcaster I
work for does not want to light the tower, wants to run twice the power as
authorized, refuses to update the public file, and refuse to operate on its
assigned frequency? All of those things are the station licensee's responsibili
ty,
provided that hypothetically, I've done my job and can document that the
licensee has been advised.  In this hypothetical case as described, it is assum
ed
that the broadcasting company knows a qualified person when they interview
one, and hypothetically, the person they pick as chief engineer is the person
they feel is qualified to "advise" the licensee about what needs to be done. No
if the licensee does not want to do that, that's the licensee's problem and
not that of the chief engineer.

And for the record, the scenario I outlined above is a worst case
hypothetical only, and it has no connection what so ever to the job I have. NIU
 is a fine
employer and an excellent broadcast licensee. The absolute best there is and
nobody can top them, in my book.

Jeff Glass, BSEE CSRE
Chief Engineer
WNIU WNIJ