[BC] vaporizing birds

Bob Barnswatts amfan
Thu Sep 28 21:23:40 CDT 2006

Two stories in two days told wild tales of "birds vaporizing" by the RF field or by landing on a feedline

“The antenna on top of the 1500 ft tower was a 72 ft "candlestick" that transmitted a television signal strong enough to vaporize a bird if it happened to fly too close to it...”

ref:   http://www.oldradio.com/archives/warstories/1572feet.htm

Regarding XEROK  :  “The transmission feed was 'open line'. 150,000 watts would flow and hum across the cables connection the antenna to the transmitter. Birds would land on the line and in a flash they would be vaporized - only a handful of feathers would float to the ground. “

ref:  http://www.reelradio.com/km/index.html

Now I ask you if this is true?  I find it very hard to believe but admittedly haven’t seen it happen myself nor been around 150KW AM transmitters or standing directly next to Hi powered tv antennaes.