[BC] putting phone calls on the air

Bob Tarsio Bob
Thu Sep 28 20:06:41 CDT 2006

I guess this is how low can you dial? I grew up in a small town called Stony
Point, NY. When I was a kid in the 1960s there was one exchange and all you
needed to dial was the last four digits of the number you wanted to call in
town. We still had a few party lines too. The best was that one of the
exchange test numbers was 9-1-1-1-1! If you dialed this number it would ring
back the number you were calling from. Try that today and you will be paid a
visit!

Another little piece of telephone company trivia about my home town was that
AT&T long lines ran a multi coaxial cable right up through my neighborhood.
I suppose if they were to dig up Walnut Street today they would uncover that
cable that I watched an AT&T Long Lines crew bury back in the 60s. We also
had one of the AT&T microwave relay stations in town up on Jackie Jones
Mountain. The tower is still working for American Tower. Ironically, there
is an AT&T I mean Cingular, er um SBC wireless installation on that tower!

Bob Tarsio
President

Broadcast Devices, Inc.
5 Crestview Avenue