News on satellite was [BC] Country Music plight in top towns

Rich Wood richwood
Thu Sep 28 11:49:00 CDT 2006

------ At 12:26 AM 9/28/2006, FrankGott at aol.com wrote: -------

>If my employer KQV were to be on satellite it would be a nice potential
>source of NTR.

At this point, the revenue flow would probably be in the other
direction, much like the services that offer webcasting. Before I
cancelled my satellite subscriptions there were as many audio based
all-news channels (not TV audio) as there are cable news networks.
It's all national stuff. NBC's NIS all news experiment failed even
though it allowed positions in the clock for local news. To my ears,
the problem was that local stations didn't have resources comparable
to NIS and the local stuff sounded amateurish. Another issue is that
news doesn't have a long TSL. Recall "Give us 22 minutes and we'll
give you the world" of WINS, New York. Big cume but not much AQH.
Advertisers generally buy on AQH.

Carrying a local station involves a rat's nest of contractual
arrangements. Most local AM stations carry top of the hour network
news. Got to have network approval. The affiliation agreement usually
specifies a single market. If I'm an ABC affiliate I don't want my
"exclusive" programming elsewhere in my market, regardless of how it
gets there. Listeners can get the same news I deliver but without my
local spots.

Saga Communications has stated it won't take any syndicated show that
also appears on satellite. That would rule out Air America, ABC and
loads of other shows, though one of their markets does carry shows
duplicated on satellite. I guess it's hard to make a hard and fast
rule. The attitude of the programmers is that if radio stations won't
carry me, I'll go where I can get distribution. Tiny satellite
audiences are still better than no coverage in a market, at all.

I believe, as satellite subscriptions increase and they begin showing
up in Arbitron surveys, more and more stations will reject syndicated
programming that's duplicated on satellite. Right now, they're not
significant competition. If the time ever comes that there are as
many subscriptions as there are AM/FM radios we'll see lots of shows
having to make a decision between terrestrial distribution or
satellite. Just like IBUZ we're talking about hundreds of millions of
receivers. Even with the rock bottom prices of satellite receivers
they still have the subscription resistance to deal with.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-454-3258