[BC] Country Music plight in top towns

Cornelius Gould cornelius
Wed Sep 27 07:19:45 CDT 2006

This whole thing is headed where I thought it would over 10 years ago.
The problem here is that too many radio people are suffering from "their
grass is greener" syndrome.

All of broadcast audio media is in the same boat.  The same boat that
broadcast TV is in.  Satellite Radio and Internet Radio are simply
"radio's" version of Cable TV.

The "Radio Cable" is simply fragmenting the pie further and further.
Radio should look to what TV is up to in their efforts to stay viable
with the changing times.

My position since the dawn of satellite radio - and in particular, the
terrestrial repeater quagmire was/is this: Instead of fighting Satellite
Radio, radio should have found a way to get ONTO the terrestrial
repeater system and become one of the many offerings on XM and Sirius.

There is so much bad blood between the two types of casters now that I'm
not sure if that will ever be possible at this point.

I'm not so sure these "knee Jerk" programming reactions are going to
help broadcast radio in the long run.  Yes, the audience for
traditionally mass-appeal formats is shrinking, but it's shrinking for
EVERYONE.  Just ask any TV station.  Even THEY are dealing with the
various Non-Linear forms of programming in a proactive way (i-Pods,
etc)! (As much as possible, anyway.)

I have to get back to things, otherwise I'd go deeper into this subject,
but I thought I'd throw this seed for thought out there.

-Cornelius

--

- Cornelius Gould