[BC] 1 kW AM xmtrs

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Sun Sep 24 19:40:05 CDT 2006

In a message dated 09/24/2006 5:59:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tosenkowsky at prodigy.net writes:

> >From the above there is NOTHING wrong with the x1000b
>  feeding the GE, just like there is NOTHING wrong with a
>  microphone feeding a preamp. Of course, the x1000b MUST
>  feed a 50 ohm input on the GE or else impedance mismatch
>  will cause distortion, spurious and/or harmonic emissions and
>  poor overall efficiency.

You're right, of course... but... what would be the point of feeding a solid
state 1Kw box into a 1Kw tube transmitter?

Going by what they were describing, I highly doubt that they were using the
old TX as a linear amp... that's something requiring at least a reasonable
level of skill to pull off. Based on conversations I've watched for a while now,
"skill" was not something that that particular owner possessed in abundance. It
sounds more like they just paralleled the outputs to feed the antenna, and
then wondered why the new box puked. Repeatedly.

BTW, I am familar with the "block diagram" of a typical FM plant & it's
transmitter. :)

Willie...