[BC] RE: Putting Calls on the Air

Gary Peterson kzerocx
Tue Sep 19 08:58:03 CDT 2006

 " First delay I built, was a cart machine !
 Fairly simple. Reverse the playback and record heads, and
 leave the stop queue wires disconnected.
 Delay was whatever amount of tape was wound onto the
 chosen cart.
 Of course, cart machines didn't erase the tape, so a small
 refrigerator magnet glued to the tape guide between the
 heads did a very nice job of wiping the tape completely.
Cowboy "

Tapecaster made a machine that was designed like this.  Instead of a
refrigerator magnet, there was an erase head.  It was used to effect a ~10
second delay for a talk show.  With good, lubricated tape (I rewound the
carts), a delay cart would last a couple of weeks.  I may still have a
manual ratted away for it.

Gary, K?CX