[BC] RE: Putting Calls on the Air

Brent Hall HallLB
Sun Sep 17 23:11:50 CDT 2006

The show used a tape delay system with a Dump" button complete with
substitute sound played from a cart machine that Don designed around
two floor cabinet-mounted Ampex 350 reel-to-reel machines next to
each other. The machine on the left recorded, the tape wended its way
around on outboard tape rollers, and the machine on the right played
the tape back. Aside from having to deal with the occasional tape
break, it worked fine -- Ampex 350 broadcast quality playback.
Starting it was an exercise in learned coordination.
The same configuration was used for call-in shows in TV. AT KUTV we
aired a live call-in show every Sunday night with local civic leaders
as guests. Two Ampex 2000 quad machines were next to each other with
spool between the 2 machines. Production control fed VTR-1, and
master control took the output of VTR-2. If there was any profanity,
the caller was immediately cut off and the director had master
control take him live before the taped profanity hit the air. They
would then go to a break, and go back to delay after the break. Of
course in those days we had the money reel already built due to lack
of machines . It worked great for several years.
-Brent