[BC] putting phone calls on the air

Rudman, Richard A rar01
Sun Sep 17 03:09:55 CDT 2006

During my first year working summer relief as a tech for WBZ in 1966,
I occasionally handled the engineering for a talk show with callers
on the air called "Contact" hosted by Bob Kennedy. Don Parker was the
CE of WBZ and developed a telephone hybrid circuit. It was not
perfect, but it got calls on the air. I know "Contact!" aired on WBZ
starting in 1961. If memory serves, shows based on the "Contact" talk
show format of host with guests and callers on the phone aired on
other Group W stations, KYW and KDKA, among them.

The show used a tape delay system with a Dump" button complete with
substitute sound played from a cart machine that Don designed around
two floor cabinet-mounted Ampex 350 reel-to-reel machines next to
each other. The machine on the left recorded, the tape wended its way
around on outboard tape rollers, and the machine on the right played
the tape back. Aside from having to deal with the occasional tape
break, it worked fine -- Ampex 350 broadcast quality playback.
Starting it was an exercise in learned coordination.

Excuse the digression -- back to the hybrid. The hybrid Don developed
was built around venerable Western Electric 111C coils. I was
involved in some measurements after Don left to go to KFWB in LA in
an attempt to improve rejection on it and seem to recall best case
was on the order of 15-20 db. on some phone calls. Don's hybrid of
course did not have dynamic balancing or other electronic bells and
whistles introduced later, but it got the job done.

Richard Rudman
Remote Possibilities Tech Consulting
11054 Ventura Blvd., Ste. 700
Studio City, CA 91604