[BC] Listenership down

Rich Wood richwood
Fri Sep 15 11:02:30 CDT 2006

------ At 11:03 AM 9/15/2006, Jeff Johnson wrote: -------

>It is interesting to study the pix accompanying this article. The
>'30s/'40s family is sitting and talking, looking, and playing with
>each other. The girl with the iPod is alone and staring at the damned thing.

It's before my time but I thought the iPod was invented well after
the 40s. The 30s/40s person reading a book would be "alone and
staring at the damned thing."

The article struck me as a typical "let's assign a general interest
reporter who knows nothing about the topic to pore through press
releases and fill some space." I really miss the local New York media
reporters. They actually visited the stations often. One actually
spent most of his career programming stations.

>Has media improved our humanity?

It's changed it as have many other inventions. The light bulb caused
us to lose a lot of sleep. Kerosene stocks plummeted. Now they're
making up for it. I've seen very similar pictures of families huddled
around radios and TV. Fortunately, IBUZ won't permit portable radios,
so families will gather together once more to listen to radio. Since
the family can only afford one, the decision to listen to the main
channel or a secondary will be very tough and might cause some
additional disfunctionality.

Rich