[BC] ftp sites

Peter Smerdon psmerdon
Fri Sep 15 10:46:25 CDT 2006

Don,
Are we talking broadcast quality or 'Pod quality?

The result depends on the data rate of the audio file.
Linear (uncompressed .wav) audio is roughly 1.5Mbps. I wouldn't try
playing that thru the I'net.
Compression schemes reduce this rate - and the playout experience
depends on the rate, your player's buffer size, and the size of your
"pipe" (remember, "the internet is a series of pipes").
If the audio is coded at a high bitrate (to sound half-decent) it could
stutter/buffer with small or clogged "pipes".

If uninterrupted audio is important, download it.

I don't think the ftp server cares whether the packets it's serving are
being delivered to a player or a file.

Peter S.

--
Peter Smerdon.