[BC] Clear Channel planning to sell off

PeterH5322 peterh5322
Fri Sep 15 01:43:44 CDT 2006

>According to drudgereport.com, Clear Channel is planning on selling
>off radio stations.  Granted this is not verified yet, but I have to
>wonder why he is reporting this.

Who isn't selling off radio stations?

General Electric guessed right, and began selling its stations (and the
then recently acquired NBC stations) off 20 years ago.

ABC/Disney is selling all the ABC-branded stations, but is keeping the
ESPN- and Radio Disney-branded stations.

CBS is selling stations. Some are forced sales, on account of too many
stations after the merger with Westinghouse. Some have been in trusts,
awaiting a buyer.

Look for CC to sell marginal stations all over the place, yet keep all
its Class As, and also its full power low-frequency Class Bs in medium to
large markets.

Look for everyone to "off" stations which are operating with less than
adequate dial position and power. Particularly those with PSSAs.

Cumulus and Citadel may think they are upgrading their long-term
positions by acquiring major market stations.

But, someone who feels perfectly comfortable operating a 50,000 watt
Class A blowtorch in the Bible Belt, broadcasting gospel music to a few
hundred thousand "true believers", has got another thing coming when it
comes to programming a 50,000 watt Class A blowtorch in a top-5 market of
very diverse listeners, probably none of which have stepped into a church
since their baptism, their marriage (assuming they are even married at
all), or the funeral of their parents.