[BC] Air America filing for Bankruptcy

Donna Halper dlh
Thu Sep 14 02:14:52 CDT 2006

>Glen wrote--
>
>Not so, Donna,  The word "progressive" has been used as a synonym for
>"Communist" for something like 100 years.  In its latest manifestation, an
>example would be the Progressive Labor Party, http://www.plp.org/

Actually, we are both right.  Many times in the history of language,
words have taken on several meanings.  The word "conservative" used
to mean somebody who was opposed to progress, somebody who wanted
things to stay the same as they had always been.  These days, the
word refers to a political strategy.  Similarly, there are
"progressives" who are pretty close to Communists, like the ones that
you mentioned.  But that doesn't mean all people who have used the
word "progressive" were communists-- when I first heard it in the
70s, as I said, it was a political word that had nothing to do with
communism.  The right wing has for years tried to claim all liberals
are commies, but Glen, you know that isn't true, and I hope that
isn't what you are implying.