[BC] FCC & 9/11

Rich Wood richwood
Mon Sep 11 09:46:49 CDT 2006

------ At 08:19 AM 9/11/2006, mrfixit at min.midco.net wrote: -------

>Any of you here have any experience with your local TV station dropping (or
>running much later) the 9/11 special last night? Any comments
>subsequently sent
>to station or to the FCC regarding this? Any replies (yet)?
>Comments, opinions?
>
>And yes, I did. To the local station and to the FCC. My opinion is
>that the FCC
>has overstepped it's responsibility and authority, and is edging ever so
>slightly closer to government censorship. Censorship of what enters
>my house is
>my responsibility, not anyone else's.

This is a little confusing. Has the FCC notified any station that
moved or didn't run any of the specials that they were in violation?
Are you suggesting that stations shouldn't run them?

I was 1/2 mile away and saw it all close up. I don't need any TV show
or movie to relive the experience. In fact, I've avoided all news,
specials or articles about it. I don't need to relive it.

However, I don't see where the FCC has any authority here, either
way. I might take issue with the deceptive ABC "docudrama" but it
says more about ABC's credibility than anything else. In the future,
I'll always doubt the accuracy of any ABC documentary. From here on
in they'll be political commentary to me.

What's the issue? I agree that 9/11 was the most violent and obscene
event I've ever seen. Where it's a legitimate, accurate, documentary
I don't see where the FCC would step in. How many hundreds of
thousands of kids saw the actual event unfold?

I understand that the National Geographic Channel ran theirs a day or
so early and came up with the highest ratings they've ever had. The
cynic in me says is all a ratings ploy. The downside for the networks
is that they're finding them hard to sell. In spite of huge projected
audiences, advertisers didn't want to be associated with such a
horrifying event. I'm told CBS decided to run theirs commercial-free.

This is a normal advertiser response to anything controversial. It's
something Talk Radio has to deal with every day.

Rich