[BC] Studio? We don't need no stinkin' studio!

Ray Vaughan ray
Sat Sep 9 02:04:34 CDT 2006

A lot of what you're talking about changed a few years ago.

"?97.113 Prohibited transmissions.

(a) No amateur station shall transmit:
(3) Communications in which the station licensee
or control operator has a pecuniary interest,
including communications on behalf of an
employer. Amateur operators may, however, notify
other amateur operators of the availability for
sale or trade of apparatus normally used in an
amateur station, provided that such activity is
not conducted on a regular basis; "  The old
rules prohibited ANY business, interest or not, on amateur radio.

Yes, you can order a Pizza.  You usually can't
make money by buying a pizza, so there's no
pecuniary interest.   But you can't take orders
for pizzas on an autopatch if you work at at a
pizza place since you're making money doing
it.    Here's how the ARRL explains it: "2) Phone
patches or autopatches involving the pecuniary
interest of the originator, or on behalf of the
originator's employer, must not be conducted at
any time. The content of any patch should be such
that it is clear to any listener that such
communications are not involved. Particular
caution must be observed in calling any business
telephone. Calls to place an order for a
commercial product may be made such as the
proverbial call to the pizza restaurant to order
food, but not calls to one's office to receive or
to leave business messages since communications
on behalf of ones employer are not permitted.
Calls made in the interests of highway safety,
however, such as for the removal of injured
persons from the scene of an accident or for the
removal of a disabled vehicle from a hazardous
location, are permitted."  They also say:  "4)
Phone patches and autopatches should never be
made solely to avoid telephone toll charges.
Phone patches and autopatches should never be
made when normal telephone service could just as
easily be used."  If I'm holding my 2m radio and
the alternative is finding a pay phone, I'm using
the radio. http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/phone-patch.html

I haven't heard the auto patch on my system used
in a couple years. Even our biggest cheapskate
finally bought a cell phone.   But if any ham
wanted to order a pizza on the patch, I would let
it go and be glad they're using the
repeater.   The sad thing is, the cell phone also
replaced the conversations on the repeaters.   To
tie back to broadcast engineering, I use what I
learned in broadcasting, and some of my
equipment, to transmit our monthly club meeting
on our club repeater.   Small Shure mixer, QKT
audio coupler, and a reverse auto patch call and
we're on the air for a couple hours.  Great for
the hams that can't physically make it to the
meetings or are too far to justify the gas.

Ray, KD4BBM