[BC] Emergency Traffic /really drifitng on a Friday...

Ray Vaughan ray
Sat Sep 9 01:41:34 CDT 2006

Well, I work in Miami Dade Fire Rescue, Communications Division, so I
guess I should say something.

Yes, a small subset of the Q codes are alive and well in Miami
Dade.  Only a few, QSL, QTH, QSM, QSY, QRU, QRR.   Also a lot of
number codes that I think are unique to us, 02, call by phone, 05
back at the station, 317 accident with injuries,  42
Ambulance....  Florida Highway Patrol is heavy into 10 codes.   I
swear they can tell jokes in nothing but 10 codes.

There is a strong push to go to plain English as part of our federal
funding.

http://www.fema.gov/pdf/nims/More10Codes02-08-06.pdf#search=%22NIMS%20Plain%20English%22

So, the idea is if we use plain English day-to-day at home, we'll be
more likely to use it when we work with other agencies in an
emergency.  When I have my FEMA US&R hat on, I'm supposed to use only
Plain English.   It IS hard to remember.   Now that we have CAD
computers in the trucks, I suspect we'll start hearing less of
everything on the air.   We now clear calls and advise of arrival on
the computer with a repeat on the air.   As people get more
comfortable with the computers I think the radio will get
quiet.  (wow, did I just say that in a broadcast mailing list?)

What won't change is the codes for medical conditions.   29 Delta 4
is an accident with entrapment.   From the 911 call to the EMS
report, this code stays with the call.   This is a national standard
that I think most departments use
today.  http://ecmscanning.tripod.com/pridispcodes.html

If you want to know what's going on here now, here is our Computer
Aided Dispatch
screen:  http://www.co.miami-dade.fl.us/firecad/wwwcipnew.asp  and
you can listen here:  http://65.222.96.133/ListenIn.asp   An idea
stolen from my Broadcasting work, I set up listen lines for our
channels.   Nice thing about working on both the radios and the phone
system... I get to tie them together.   On a good night I'll see 20+
people on the lines from all over the country.   I won't give out the
numbers in a public forum. If your station has an Avaya phone system,
I can show you some ideas.

Thanks for mentioning us.  Nice way to get me to think about ways
broadcasting and public safety cross over.

Ray Vaughan, KD4BBM, MS, CBTE, COM-S, CERT (ok, I'll stop now)