[BC] Using Ham to Order Pizza with Other Toppings

Rich Wood richwood
Fri Sep 8 21:50:09 CDT 2006

------ At 09:45 PM 9/8/2006, Cowboy wrote: -------

>  Ordering a pizza via amateur radio because the kitchen is normally closed
>  is probably questionable at best, illegal if you are carrying a cell phone,
>  or there is a nearby pay phone.

I used to moderate the Fidonet Amateur Radio Echo (forum). That was
one of the frequent threads. After the many license changes were
complete I asked the ARRL if ordering a pizza was allowed. I was told
it was perfectly legal where it hadn't been before. I followed it up
with a call to the FCC. Same answer. It's OK, regardless of any other
options available. To a Ham, using a cell phone when there's an
autopatch available is sacrilege.

Most repeater trustees with autopatches don't like the idea but
permit it because it's legal. I'm a trustee of a machine in Verona,
NJ. We gave up on objecting to members ordering food a long time ago.

We actually had a couple who would commute at the same time in
separate cars. They'd use the repeater for some of the most mushy
bedroom talk when they were a few cars apart and Simplex would have
saved us from upset stomachs. Finally, we asked them to take it to
Simplex. They did. To add insult to injury, the wife would call her
mother every day on the autopatch and discuss some of the most
intimate details of family life.

Rich
KF2JO

Rich Wood