[BC] Studio? We don't need no stinkin' studio!

Cowboy curt
Fri Sep 8 20:47:33 CDT 2006

On Friday 08 September 2006 12:54 pm, Black, Mike wrote:

> >>	But these two &^%$ retentive hams said that hams can never
> >>be used to pass commercial traffic, including hospitals. One
> >>thing I've learned after 53 years on this planet. It doesn't
> >>do any good to talk to people like this.
>
> I think they have not read the rulings or Commission documents.
> Commercial traffic from hospitals during an emergency? I can not imagine
> hospitals needing to make billing inquiries during a disaster using ham
> radio. However, if the other lines of communication are down, and you
> are trying to get contact staff, get supplies, or other information like
> that, it should be a no brainer.

 Amateur stations may not carry any communication for which recourse to
 the public telecommunications network would be the norm, except during
 a real emergency, when all bets are off.

 Ordering a pizza via amateur radio because the kitchen is normally closed
 is probably questionable at best, illegal if you are carrying a cell phone,
 or there is a nearby pay phone.
 If the kitchen staff is gone, the telco is out, and you are ordering 300 pizzas
 because there is no other option, that's clearly OK.

--
Cowboy