[BC] LPFM s

Glen Kippel glen.kippel
Fri Sep 8 12:08:03 CDT 2006

On 9/8/06, Robert Meuser <Robertm at broadcast.net> wrote:

> I think you miss the point. A legal ID is for the FCC and other
> authorities to ID a station. THEY can use RDS. A station identifies
> itself to the audience in various ways. It is a North American oddity
> that this can involve call letters.  The existing legal ID rule is a
> stupid solution that is technologically way out of date.

Yes.  Dittos.  I was about to say that myself.  Outside of the US, Canada,
Mexico and Australia, hardly anybody uses call letters.  And, if an
FM translator can ID by MCW AM, it should be duck soup to ID by RDS.  AM
stations don't have that option but, if they are using HDR, I don't see why
a small data stream with the ID would not be possible.  Let the FCC figure
out how to decode it, since it is for their benefit.