[BC] Studio? We don't need no stinkin' studio!

Black, Mike black
Fri Sep 8 11:56:34 CDT 2006

>>	But these two &^%$ retentive hams said that hams can never
>>be used to pass commercial traffic, including hospitals. One
>>thing I've learned after 53 years on this planet. It doesn't
>>do any good to talk to people like this.

I think they have not read the rulings or Commission documents.
Commercial traffic from hospitals during an emergency? I can not imagine
hospitals needing to make billing inquiries during a disaster using ham
radio. However, if the other lines of communication are down, and you
are trying to get contact staff, get supplies, or other information like
that, it should be a no brainer.

The only thing I ever saw was the Commission stating that certain
routine, non-critical nor life saving communications could not be
transmitted over ham radio, even if it was the only way. This was in
reference to a television network, trying to setup travel or scheduling
of its TV personnel for coverage of a disaster (I remember it being NBC
during floods, earthquakes, or a hurricane in Central or South America).
The ruling was that this was not permitted. However, in today's world
with satellite phones, I can not see why there would be need for this
business communications, whether scheduling tv crews, or filing stories.

Mike Black
WEOS
Geneva, NY
WB2MB