[BC] Studio? We don't need no stinkin' studio!

Bailey, Scott sbailey
Fri Sep 8 08:09:34 CDT 2006

Bill,
     To me, the licensee just ran off and allowed non-broadcast, or non
trained supervision over that station. The commission could care less if
what studio equipment, if any was at the hotel. What should have been
done was a letter should have been filed in the beginning of where the
main studio was, and also you can file for an alternate main studio
control point as well.
     The commission could care less what if any mics or mixers are
there. But there should have been Sine Systems, Burk, Mosley Remote
control at the transmitter, and that would have been fine, and the
public file should have been set up at the hotel.
     When I first read what the commission was griping about, I got
pissed with the inspector, the enforcement division, and cussing those 5
Commissioners we have up there in DC. But then, I read it again, and I
took back my anger on the FCC, and then I leaned my anger towards the
licensee. You don't go off and let the transmitter running 1125 watts
24/7, when you are not licensed to and not checking on the transmitter
on a daily or at least every other day to make sure of its correct
operation!
     If it was me, I would have had me a 1 room office at the hotel,
containing my Computer(s) to sending out programming, a small mixer,
some mics, my EAS Box, and most importantly, the public file!  I would
have trained the desk clerk (s) on duty how to operate the system.  I
would have taken the employees at the hotel and trained them to take on,
double duty, as a meaningful management presence, running the station
and the hotel. I would have made sure the desk clerk answered the
stations phone as well.
     I realize that radio stations get a lot of stupid, annoying, phone
calls from telemarketers and Jerry Springer types of the public, but
don't waste your time on those "Bozos", just hang up on them, and only
take the calls that are strictly business calls, especially calls from
the commission!
     The commission has stated that computers are more reliable than
humans, but humans program them. We would have made sure the Sine System
was doing what it was suppose to do each day 5 KW from Sunup to Sundown,
and the 28 watts at night.
     The licensee was not running a tight ship, and I can see where the
commission was upset, as I tend to agree with them!
      What I have for my station is a Main Studio, with my AudioArts
Mixer, computers, my EAS Box, all there in the studio. My Transmitter is
with the studio, so my head in of my remote control is there.  I also
have a studio build in on of my bedrooms in my house, to where, if we
start to get bad weather moving in during the middle of the night, I
don't have to get up and spend 10 minutes getting to the station, I can
go on the air live from my house, monitor my remote control, EAS, etc,
from my home studio. This way, I can get the information on the air
faster to the public when they need it. In bad weather situations during
the middle of the night, every minute and every second counts to maybe
save a life!
     Oh by the way, on April 7, the day afternoon the tornado ripped
through Gallatin, Tennessee, we went off the air for 4 hours. We went
off at approximately 2:30 PM and didn't get back on until 6:15 PM, when
we got power restore. During the course of the evening, the town was in
an emergency situation, and we stay on our day power (1000 watts) all
through the night on that evening, getting out information to the town
and county. It was a horrible day and a horrible night, as we were
getting first hand reports of the dead found caused by the storm.
   I made the statement (on the air) I wanted the first jerk to call me
and complain that we were on day power during the emergency. I would
have taken down their name, address, and had my attorney, and the City
of Gallatin file a huge lawsuit against them. My community is still
trying to recover from that disaster! We still have people homeless
here!

Scott

Scott