[BC] CD Player

Glen Kippel glen.kippel
Thu Sep 7 14:08:18 CDT 2006

On 9/7/06, Cason, Scott <scason at prp.org> wrote:

> Does anyone make a decent control room CD player anymore.  This stuff that
> Denon is putting out now is cheep crap that cannot stand up to 24/7
> anymore.
>

> ----------------------

You didn't mention whether you needed remote start, XLR outs, etc.  That
would have some bearing on things.  I have been reasonably happy with the
Stanton C500 dual decks -- you can put the control head in a position that
is easier to reach.  For $199 street price, they are expendable, though I
haven't had one go out yet.  The ones I got are brushed aluminum, though
apparently everybody is making them in black now.  The guts seem to be
similar to the Gemini CD200, Numark CDN-25, Gem Sound CD-70, and American
Audio DCD-Pro310.  They are all unbalanced out, which will work with some
boards (like the Dynamax) but will need an external interface amp for
others.

For a single-play machine, the Numark MP102 MP3/CD player has balanced XLR
outputs at only $199.  The TASCAM CD160 looks good but is $279 and only RCA
ouputs.

Something to look at is the Numark HDCD1, dual CD/CDRW/MP3 player with a
built-in 40-GB hard drive.  You can store all your stuff in the drive, then
search it out and play it.  Only $1499.99 -- such a deal!

But I would still suggest getting a proper automation system and putting
everything on that.

GK