[BC] LPFM Operations

Black, Mike black
Wed Sep 6 18:44:45 CDT 2006

> What are they "underwriting?" If you underwrite a show on NPR you
don't
> get to determine the show's content. In this case it's a hellfire and
> brimstone preacher paying for an infomercial which he creates. I
believe
> that would qualify as commercial time.

>>The hellfire, the brimstone, are not commercial continuity.
 >> If said preacher, in his preaching, changes the content to
>>promoting products and services of an underwriter/sponsor
>>*then* he aired a commercial.

One could argue he is promoting salvation, and in a specific way,
through his church or by listening to "his" message. As for determining
content, most public radio producers do this, not the "sponsor",
grantor, or underwriter. And if you pay a commercial station to put on a
religious program, which is still a common practice, what makes this not
akin to a paid infomercial? The product: salvation, life, your soul,
your well being...whatever. Some people find salvation in the latest
cell phone technology or getting a better head of hair.

>>Gray area sidebar: nonprofit program producers who offer
>>helps and aids on their broadcasts are legal.  Probably
>>follows the concept of the proverbial college bookstore
>>selling books for college courses.
>>Randy Henry

If the bookstore is a for-profit business owned by a 501c3, then all
bets are off. In addition, we have been cautioned to be very careful of
how to handle any business, including non-for profit ones, in terms of
content of our acknowledgements. It is one thing for the college book
store to selling educational items, it is another if they wanted to
promote their Nike's and other fine designer apparel. The devil is in
the details, and I would rather not go down that path.

Mike