[BC] LPFM Operations

wpio fm radio wpio
Wed Sep 6 18:00:03 CDT 2006

Rich Wood wrote:

> What are they "underwriting?" If you underwrite a show on NPR you don't
> get to determine the show's content. In this case it's a hellfire and
> brimstone preacher paying for an infomercial which he creates. I believe
> that would qualify as commercial time.

The hellfire, the brimstone, are not commercial continuity.
  If said preacher, in his preaching, changes the content to
promoting products and services of an underwriter/sponsor
*then* he aired a commercial.

Gray area sidebar: nonprofit program producers who offer
helps and aids on their broadcasts are legal.  Probably
follows the concept of the proverbial college bookstore
selling books for college courses.

Randy Henry