[BC] Weeding out the charlatans (Was:Relig. radio rant)

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Wed Sep 6 12:29:27 CDT 2006

In a message dated 09/06/2006 12:46:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sbailey at nespower.com writes:

> MMMM....Willie, here in the south, that's not the case.  I've had a ton
>  of some so called "Preachers" that float around from station to station
>  in the Nashville Area, run up bills with the station and don't pay them.

Contrast them to the ones who will *never* darken the door of your (or any
other) station... and they will be a very small minority. Just because they come
to your door, doesn't mean they are anywhere near a majority. It just means
that they are the *visible* albeit tiny, activist group.

My wife has family down south (Newport News, VA) and there are just as many
rock-solid, legitimate Preachers & Organizations there as elsewhere. I have a
brother in Kentucky. Same thing where he is.

>  I know of one who is in jail for Credit Card fraud. I bet I could ask
>  some of these "so called preachers" who the NRB is and they won't know.

You're right- they probably won't have any idea who the NRB is. Why should
they? It would expose them for the frauds that they are. (It would be akin to
the burglar supporting the local Police.)

>  Anybody can run around and call themselves a preacher. Beware and check
>  them out before you let them buy time from you.

Oh, trust me- we do! Over the years, we've had a handful of those types come
through, and we've turned them all away. The easiest way to do that is to ask
them for two things: A "Statement of Faith" which gives a bulleted list of
their core beliefs and doctrines, and a sample recording. Nine times out of ten,
it is that sample recording that will result in a rejection, although a few
have been rejected due to beliefs which contradict the basic "core beliefs" of
Orthodox Christianity. (Another set of standards, which are also spelled out by
the NRB for Members' and non-Members' benefit.) This will also keep the
whackos and kooks off the air. (If the audio on the recording is unintelligible
screams and howlings, it's an automatic reject. "Dollar-a-Hollar" stations don't
care, they'll air it if the money is there. They could care less about that or
a Statement of Faith.)

I don't know if these guys have some kind of "network" where they tell one
another, "Don't bother with WFIF, you won't get on!" because their numbers have
declined as the years went by... It's also possible that all of the ones in
this area have now tried and failed, so we're not hearing from them anymore.

Of course, the fact that we now have a bona fide "Dollar-a-hollar" station in
the next town could be helping... they know they can get on there... as long
as they pay-as-they-go. That's another way to thwart the local charlatans:
Make 'em pay up front. No cash, no broadcast. You'll eliminate the charlatans
this way, but you'll still get the kooks knocking on the door. That's where the
other two options come in.

Willie...