[BC] The religious radio rant

Bailey, Scott sbailey
Wed Sep 6 11:45:27 CDT 2006

MMMM....Willie, here in the south, that's not the case.  I've had a ton
of some so called "Preachers" that float around from station to station
in the Nashville Area, run up bills with the station and don't pay them.
I know of one who is in jail for Credit Card fraud. I bet I could ask
some of these "so called preachers" who the NRB is and they won't know.
Anybody can run around and call themselves a preacher. Beware and check
them out before you let them buy time from you.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of WFIFeng at aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 6:27 AM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re: [BC] The religious radio rant

In a message dated 09/06/2006 04:20:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jjohnson at goodnews.net writes:

>  It appears that many, many folks want to hear religious programming
and
> are paying to hear it.

Right. Willingly and gladly. As I said, the *vast* majority of Preachers
are
100% legitimate. Only a *small minority* are not, yet it is *that* tiny
group
that gets all of the attention. There are voluntary Accountability
standards
to which many of the larger, reputable organizations adhere. (Some
smaller ones
do, as well.) The ECFA, (Evangelical Council for Financial
Accountability)
being the most prominent. Their standards are very high, and enforcement
is
strict. Any organization that bears their seal must meet all of those
standards.
By giving to one of these orgs, you have the assurance that your
contributions
are being used properly. (The financial books of member organizations
are open
to public scrutiny, and frequent audits by 3'rd parties.)

The NRB, (National Religious Broadcasters) is another national
organization
that stations & programmers voluntarily join. Members must adhere to
certain,
high standards of conduct. There are some stations that simply cannot
afford
official membership, but still adhere to the standards. There are many
more who
can afford it, and are full members of the NRB. Again, stations bearing
that
seal can be trusted to handle listener contributions properly.

If the Bakker scandal did anything good, it was to raise the bar for
Christian programmers and stations. The formation of the ECFA was a
direct response to
that travesty.

The company I work for is a member of the NRB, and has been for many
years. I
am honored and privileged to work here. (19-plus years, and counting.)

Willie...