[BC] What is the issue in SC?

Bailey, Scott sbailey
Wed Sep 6 10:09:17 CDT 2006

Clarence,
   Nobody is here to bash you; I think we all want to help you. You have
come to us with a problem, and we want to help you solve it and keep
that station on. I'm an owner/operator of a 1 KW AM Daytime Station,
with Secondary Nighttime Authorization (flea power). For the most part,
I do all my own tech work on my station.
   You know, I would loved to have 100 watts on FM, rather then having
to put up with going down to a power of nearly nothing at night, but you
know, I've put up with it for 15 years, and I'm still here. I guess
since I'm only 42, I still have that stubborn attitude in me, being
there are some AM Purist out there, (and some linger on this list) that
would love for me, and another example (Willie from WFIF-AM) to fail and
go away. We flat refuse! I had one tell me I knew this when I bought my
station, and I have no right to speak up and complain about my nighttime
power. Well I got news for this gentleman, I didn't know that and I
found out after I bought it. I didn't know as much back then, than I do
now. We learn as we go along.
    Clarence, there is no telling what will happen with IBOC. If the FCC
continues on with it, it's like everything else out there, the prices
will go down, just hang on, I'm going to, and I'm on AM, where IBOC and
analog AM doesn't get along very well. IBOC is not mandatory right now,
and I have no plans to implement it in the near future.
     The NAB is going through changes, as now Eddie Fritz is gone, and
it has a new president. The NAB's new president seems to want to help us
more, not out to kill us. Look at the rulemaking the NAB wants for us
AM's, letting us have a FM translator to help cover our nighttime woes.
It may no happen, but at least they are trying. I don't go to NAB in
Vegas just to play slots. I go there to get a education, learn more
about new things out there, and network with my fellow broadcasters and
engineers to learn more about ideas they have come up with to better my
plant.
     You came to us with this distressful message of turning off that
station, and you shouldn't do that. Like I said, if you need help, there
is a young man, Paul Walker, Jr. that is on this list, who will travel
to your station, find a place to live, set up shop, and help you run
that thing, get it going where it will run itself with out you have
sleepless nights over it!
     I'll give Paul credit where credit is due, he is a fighter, and
wants to work hard to keep stations in trouble on the air. If he doesn't
know the answer, he comes to list like Barry's to get help. And yes that
is what Barry is here for, to help small broadcasters like me and you.
     You seem to be tired and frustrated, and that I can understand. I
get that way sometimes, but please reconsider what you're doing, let us
help you and keep that station on the air for the community! You are
doing a good thing by carrying the football games at the high school.
Why not think about basketball after football season is over.  Whey not
carry little league games.  The parents of the little kids would love
that.

Scott Bailey
Owner/Operator/Engineer
WMRO-AM, Magic 1560