[BC] Sales: proud to be whores

Mike McCarthy Towers
Mon Sep 4 20:52:33 CDT 2006

In it's prime, WJMK (the former oldies station) ran 14-16 minutes an hour
during the day and evening dayparts. It was regularly sold out Thursday to
Saturday and many times during the week as well.  CBS bailed on the format
because they felt the people older than 45 didn't have the $$ they liked.
The station did 50% trailing cash flow. If CBS's radio division tanks
because of Joel Hollender blowing up two of the companies biggest cash
cows, then that shows just how powerful that format still is today.

I agree with the premise that if you can sell it and not sound oversold,
then sell it. WGN regularly gets the equivalent of 20 minutes an hour with
it's carefully placed drops and such. There's a reason they were the first
$40M billing station in the 80's...aside from the lovable looser Cubs. Most
satellite formats don't give the local station more than 8 minutes of local
time. Most stations never sell the 0:10 bumpers...they should.

MM

At 08:43 PM 9/4/2006 -0400, Thomas G. Osenkowsky wrote