[BC] The future of broadcasting...

Larry Bloomfield Larry
Mon Sep 4 09:58:33 CDT 2006

As Mike says: The sole purpose of commercial broadcasting is to deliver eyes
and/or ears to potential advertisers. Anything else is frosting on the cake.
It is coincidental that this thread is running right as that what I say at
everyone of my Road Show presentations just in case we loose site of what's
what. I also add that our job, as technicians and engineers, is to make that
deliverance the best in technical excellence possible considering what we
are given to work with. (notice the condition there at the end.) Format,
program content, subject matter, etc. is only important to achieve the goad
of delivering those eyes and/or ears. An example of how important this is,
is in the determination of market size. It is obvious the larger markets can
and do charge more for commercial time. To this end, it is imperative that
stations reach their entire market area. These are the reasons that out of
market signals are a no-no via cable, satellite or whatever. Translators are
one way of achieving this extended coverage. I believe this is one reason
why the FCC may be considering permitting AM stations FM translators. I do
know that in some places that if the TV translators make a huge difference,
like in Albuquerque, NM, which is TV market #49. If those translators were
to go away, they'd be market #99.  The same is true of their FM translators.

So much for my contribution to this thread.  Thanks.

--
Larry Bloomfield - KA6UTC
(541) 902-2424 (My Everything Phone #)