[BC] The future of broadcasting...

Mike McCarthy Towers
Sun Sep 3 19:39:18 CDT 2006

Broadcasting 101... We are there to deliver an audience to
advertisers.  That's the business model as driven into our minds the first
day of classes.  It's not about formats or other things creative.  Content
is a means to en end.  That's how Wall Street see's it and most every sales
turned into manager see it. Those who have mixed the two well have done
well regardless of format.

We're on the declining side of the curve following the hey-day of
sub-format refinements done without auditorium testing and qualitative as
well as quantitative research.  Format managers at the large groups have
their vision and that's how it's done across their respective groups.  It's
unfortunate that many of them never were exposed to real auditorium
tests.  The tests show not only the rating of the songs, but the visual
cues/expressions of the attendees were also factored highly in how content
was added or deleted.  Numbers can only tell so much.  How a program
element is really analyzed is by the expression of the participants' faces.

That's no longer done.  It costs too much money to objectively research
important customized items through those means.  Problem is, research is
the first to go when the belt get tightened...and the spiral downward
starts.  We're in that initial spiral now...

MM

At 07:53 PM 9/3/2006 -0400, Dan Kelley wrote