[BC] PD's are timid

Dan Kelley djkelley
Sun Sep 3 21:41:30 CDT 2006

>These days, auditorium tests, music tests, and other tests render most
>playlists so bland and unremarkable that why would anyone listen?  Good
>radio should be compelling and exciting.  I don't find a playlist with the
>same 600 songs particularly interesting, even when it has lots of
>liners claiming "we play what we want."

I don't think it's the music tests and research (whats wrong with asking
your audience what they want?)...but how this testing/research is used.

And you really can't test NEW music as the audience needs to hear it a
number of times before they can even tell you whether they like it or not.

That's where the instincts and gut feel of a PD comes in...

Just my two cents!