[BC] Future of Radio & Formats

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Sun Sep 3 11:44:54 CDT 2006

In a message dated 09/02/2006 9:11:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
shnewman at alaweb.com writes:

> I'll start a new thread. I meant to ask this question. I am rotating about
> 3100 cuts in the oldies format I just implemented in Florida.

I get the distinct impression that this would be a significant exception to
the norm... but I could be wrong. That's a pretty good sized library.

> Why does
> everyone say you're playing the same 200 songs over and over.

In most cases, though, is that not true? Some "consultant" said "play only
these songs" and so they do. Formulaic programming at it's "best"... up and down
the dial. We've read it here, before: If anything's responsible for audience
erosion, this is probably topping the list.

> This is exactly why I mentioned proper use of and extent of the
> libraries. There is no difference to me with a Country or AC station
playing
> the same songs over and over than a station playing older songs over and
over.
>  I still believe the jukebox theory applies.

True, but when you think about it... if it *was* the same 200-300 songs over
and over, they've been being played for nearly *fifty years*! That's a whole
lotta repeats and a lifetime-long burn-out factor!

Willie...