[BC] The future of broadcasting...

Dan Kelley djkelley
Sun Sep 3 08:57:28 CDT 2006

>This is SO TRUE!  This is what has killed the "oldies" format- endless
>repetition of the same old playlist month after month, year after year.
>The PDs of these stations seem to forget that it wasn't like that back in
>the era they are trying to re-create- back then there were constantly new
>songs being introduced every week to keep the music new and fresh.

I can't imagine too many oldie stations attempting to "recreate" the era;
most oldies stations are contemporary in presentation; they just happen to
be playing music from a prior era.

When you talk about "new songs" being introduced every week, you're speaking
of essentially a current based format that has no relevance to a gold-based
format.

Time and time again, its been pretty well documented that the "deeper" you
dig in the oldies format, the less appeal the station has to all but a
handful of oldies fanatics...and you need more than that to have numbers to
sell to advertisers.

Personally, there's a lot of minor hits and "stiffs" that I love, but I
could never justify playing on any station I'm programming.  I save those
for my home listening and only subject my wife and kids to my own
indulgences.

-dan in lansing