[BC] The future of broadcasting...

Steve Newman shnewman
Sat Sep 2 18:41:57 CDT 2006

Easy Listening or Beautiful Music appealed (more or less) to my parents. For
instance, at one time KFOG in San Francisco (I use that station because I'm
from SF and remember the ratings) had huge numbers but like the MOYL formats
the audiences LITERALLY died off. My generation's easy listening is Adult
Contemporary or Classic Rock or Oldies. (fragmented amongst the three) Now,
what has surprised me is the baby boomers seemed to have abandoned the very
music they grew up on. This is of interest to me because I happen to like
the music of the 50's & 60's. Now, I contend that library balance and
execution is the reason they haven't held on but I could be very wrong on
this one. Maybe Rich Wood could shed some light on the Beautiful Music/EZ
Listening and Oldies from his perspective and experience.

Now, I'm NOT at all surprised at the surge in those formats you mention
below Willie. Look at the population surge in Latinos, Blacks and the (my
opinion) great music that is available for Contemporary Christian Stations
AND the spiritual awakening in the country in general.

So to summarize: I do believe the Beautiful Music formats are dead. (does
anyone remember the panic to get rid of those formats or die?) Baby Boomers
are trying to act younger than they are. :) and I'm not surprised at the
surge in listeners to the formats you list below.

Steve