[BC] The future of broadcasting...

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Sat Sep 2 14:19:03 CDT 2006

In a message dated 09/02/2006 12:53:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dpuopolo at usa.net writes:

> YES it will work in cars.
>
>  YES it's designed to put broadcasting (as we know it) out of business.
>
>  YES it probably will do so - unless broadcasters begin looking past the
>  present quarter all the time.
>
>  Or do you think Comcast and the other MSOs bought it (for billions of
dollar$
> )
>  to NOT get into the content business??

IMHO, as long as Terrestrial Radio is still *free* to the listeners, people
are going to be listening. (No need to beat the "content" drum, again, as we
all know that part.) The point is, people will always want whatever is free and
that has some usefulness to them. As long as it plays some of the songs they
like, gives 'em the news & WX, and doesn't cost anything, they'll be there.
Perhaps in smaller numbers, but not *all* Terrestrial Radio will go away. Some of
small/marginal stations probably will, but the ones that meet needs and serve
their listeners will survive. So no, I don't think it will "kill" Radio. Dent
it, yes, but not kill it.

Willie...