[BC] Tornado warnings

Mike McCarthy Towers
Fri Sep 1 09:11:00 CDT 2006

 From one who spends some time at a NWS office during severe weather...

The NWS's standard for issuing warnings covers a bunch of possible
scenarios.  We are aware of the usual visual sighting of a funnel or
tornado (which is defined as where the column of rotating air is in
contiguous contact with the ground) and advance indications as shown by radar.

One of the criteria for issuing tornado warnings is driven by the WSR88D's
programming which a defined TVS (tornado vortice signature) on the radar is
confirmed and monitored for a period of time. This is usually derived from
the relative storm velocity and a very tight couplet is observed (where the
incoming versus outgoing velocities go gate to gate in immediately adjacent
pixels (at distance) or clusters of pixels closer in to the radar.) The
radar focuses on that segment looking at various elevations to see if the
rotation is evident at different elevations.  If the rotation is not
evident higher or lower, the segment continues to be monitored, but the
warning becomes a gut decision for the forecaster.

Given the extreme number of eddies and micro vortices in the overall
circulation of the parent storm being within the span of the radar's
detectable span, it doesn't surprise me a number of TOR's are being
issued.  Many F-0 wind speed tornadoes form in tropical storms and related
intensity tornadoes in higher category hurricanes.  But many of them are
never acknowledged since the damage caused by those micro storms are always
intermingled or considered as being created with the overall storm.

Thus, what might be a severe wind gust or two...or three could in fact be a
clear air tornado of similar or slightly higher magnitude air speed than
the surrounding overall wind field.  But lacks the classically observed
debris field because the sheering winds present in the overall wind field
simply creates too much disturbing turbulence to allow the debris field to
materialize.

MM

At 11:16 PM 8/31/2006 -0400, Kent Winrich wrote