[BC] Tornado warnings

Dave Dunsmoor mrfixit
Fri Sep 1 06:03:49 CDT 2006

> During the Ernesto thingy here in North Carolina, the NWS kept sending out
> tornado WARNINGS, but then said that the potential was there for a
tornado.
> Correct me if I am wrong but that sounds like a tornado WATCH.  Not once
did
> they say there was one on the ground.  In the Midwest when we got a
tornado
> warning, we knew we had one on the ground.  Paint me confused.  Do the
> different NWS office have different standards?
>
> Signed,
>
> Your soggy engineer....

Same thing here in North Dakota last week. A co-worker mentioned it, and I
suggested that
NWS must be taking the "err on the side of caution" route due to having few,
if any folks out
there to do the confirmation. Must be the "hungry lawyers" syndrome.
Anything to keep 'em at
bay.

And, I too really dislike the announcements that describe the problems per
county. Even around
here I don't know which county is where. How on earth would a visitor?

Dave Dunsmoor