[BC] Can't solve it if you don't know about it

Barry Mishkind barry
Sun Jul 30 20:38:28 CDT 2006

At 05:31 PM 7/30/2006, Rockwell Smith wrote
>Actually, here's what works best where I am.......
>
>For those with e-mail, an e-mailed description of the problem.  This
>starts a "paper trail" that can be followed up on, replied to,
>forwarded if needed, etc.  It also creates a traceable date that it
>was reported.

         A very good idea...

         Do you use "generic" groups for notifying
         completion (or ongoing issues)?

>All of the above are for the non-catastrophe issues that can wait 12
>or 24 hours (longer if a weekend).  The true emergencies still go to
>the cell phone 24/7 as needed.  Fortunately, with good maintenance
>and back-up gear those calls are now really few and far between (
>Thankfully !).

         Congrats to you on running
         a good plant.

>All employees, full or part time, have company e-mail, but....  many
>cannot access it because they seem to get locked out of their
>accounts because they forget their passwords.

         Then you don't want to hear about the station
         I was in last month where the login and password
         (a lengthy line of letters and numbers) were
         taped to the studio monitors???

>To fill out a report, or a tag, you first have to find the paper to
>fill out.  Seems to always not be available........

         Quite so.

         Some years ago, there was a station where the
         engineer was not really paying attention. When
         I came on scene, there was a running joke that
         there were no discrepancy reports (this was before
         email became common) because if there were
         no forms, no problems could be reported.

         I promptly designed and distributed "Paranoia
         Report Forms" so the staff could vent.

         "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean
         someone isn't working against you...."