[BC] Turning lemons into cherry cola

Glen Kippel glen.kippel
Sat Jul 29 13:09:46 CDT 2006

On 7/28/06, Tom Bosscher <tom at bosscher.org> wrote:

> Robert Orban wrote:
>
> >.......I have to wonder if this blindness towards the 55+ audience is
> going to change now that the first baby boomers are turning 60. This is
> a lot of people, many of whom are financially at their peak, have a lot
> of buying power, and are used to getting what they want.
>

>   It was explained to me that "Ya, the 55+ crowd has money, but you
> can't convince them to buy anything. They are too set in their ways".
> Like the 28 year old media buyer who knows everything. I asked this
> person how many studies they looked at before accepting this as fact> "
> Um, well, we all know this to be true"
>
> I love that line from 'Fried Green Tomatoes', "I'm older and I've got
> more insurance"!
>
> ------------------

That's the problem we have at KWXY.  A lot of media buyers, especially
national, don't believe that people over 55 buy anything.  They should
recognize that those gray-haired people driving around in their Bimmers,
Mercedes, Lexuses (Lexi?) etc. weren't given those as gifts from their
grandchildren.  Did I mention that the world's largest dealer in Rolls Royce
is right here in Rancho Mirage?  That they also sell Porsche, Audi, Jaguar,
Aston-Martin and Lotus?

And just who do you see in the fancy restaurants spending $100 - $200 for
dinner?  Who is buying the $7000 dining room sets (pre-owned, at the
consignment store -- originally $36,000)?  Hey, it ain't teenagers!