[BC] Re: Bad Audio

Gary Zocolo gary.zocolo
Sat Jul 29 10:33:15 CDT 2006

One station I knew of had somehow wired two of those earbud/mic combo things
together for the sports team. There was apparently a phase issue or some
nonsense in the cell phone codec, because the play by play at times would go
way into the background and all you could hear was garbled crowd noise...and
I mean garbled....This made AM platform motion sound good. It was so bad I
was hoping for a thunderstorm because the static would have sounded better.

Gary Zocolo
Nashville

----- Original Message -----
From: Jack Gardner
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2006 1:35 AM
Subject: [BC] Re: Bad Audio

Paul wrote:

"I'm listening to one station right now, it shall remain nameless.

They do the games via a Celljack with a headset mic. The Play By Play
Guy  often records an interview on tape and feeds that thru the jack via a
mini tape player.

It sounds so bad sometimes the words are literally un-intelligble.

Paul"
  That sounds like it could be one of the Clear Channel AMs here in
Sacramento.
The audio on KFBK is the worst I've heard anywhere in the world, including
clandestine stations in Latin America. Field reporters hold recorders up to
crappy cell phones and feed audio so distorted it sounds like the praises of
Kim Jong-Il on Radio Pyongyang on shortwave. With the "new and improved
narrow bandwidth", the sound of the letter S will never again be heard over
that
facility, even with a radio tuned to sidebands.

  The sister AM, KSTE, fills the morning airwaves with endless plosives
because
someone is too cheap to put inexpensive "spit screens" in front of the
RE-20s
so the morning boys might stay more than 1/4 inch away. Since the morning
show is simulcast on TV, I can see those two constantly touching and moving
the mics more than the hands of a teenaged girl heavily into nail biting.
Maybe
the mic booms should be charged with a couple of kV of static electricity to
get
those two to stop the masturbatory treatment of the mics.

/rant
There.......I've had my Rich Wood/Dana Puopolo moment!

Jack in Sactoville